Creative Limitations - Entry 4

Suzy Dotson

Creative Limitations - Entry 4

What a sigh of relief. 

Since stepping into this class, I have felt anxious, nervous, and overly stressed. May seem typical for a new class, but not what I was expecting. Our conversation today in class calmed many of my nerves and made me feel at ease with how I am feeling toward this class and my classmates. 


I would not consider myself the most adversely creative or out-of-the-box thinker. I am driven by instructions, spreadsheets, and to-do lists and do not like engaging with things that make me step outside of those. When I hear creativity, I hear chaos. And, after reading my previous statement, you can see where I start to panic. 


While I do not consider myself creative, I am fascinated by creative people. I love listening to artists, dancers, painters, and actors. I could sit and listen to them talk about their creative process all day. I am absolutely in awe of not only their talent but their willingness to step outside the perimeters and try something new – even if it results in failure. 


Today’s discussion reminded me why limitations are put on us – they are made to be broken. Limitations, stop signs, and hindrances are, of course, used with good intent. For most people in this world, without deadlines, nothing would get done. Ever. So, of course, limitations are helpful. 

However, I need to adjust how I see them. In my life, I see boundaries as a sign to stop and turn around and never to be challenged again. It is important to see boundaries as a caution sign, and you know what? Maybe I’ll peek behind the curtain. Maybe I’ll just glance over the cliff. Maybe I’ll find a new path with unlimited directions and no more stop signs. 


The challenge for me now is to allow myself to stop, look at the caution sign, and not immediately run away. When I first heard about the mind map assignment, I was on my.smu ready to drop the class. Thinking outside the box? No limitations? No guidelines? Cox to cocks?????? Absolutely terrified. 


Now, I recognize that fear as a caution sign – not a halt and turn around signal – and am choosing to look past to what other possibilities there are for me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Devil (Money) - Entry 37

Exit Through the Gift Shop - Entry 14

Digital Media Landscapes - Entry 36