Shopping as a Creative Technique - Entry 40

Suzy Dotson

Shopping as a Creative Technique - Entry 40 


I went shopping over the long weekend to a few of my favorite stores. I have been in a rut recently and decided a little retail therapy could help lighten my mood -- safe to say it did the trick. I came home and immediately began trying on what I bought, making outfits with items already in my closet, and browsing Pinterest to see how I can style my new clothes in fun ways. 

Shopping is a creative technique. In this instance, the seasons have changed and I was looking for new items to add to my rotation of what I wear. Shopping satisfied that desire for change and need for something fresh. Now, I am not suggesting you run out and drop a million dollars every time you are in creative rut. Sometimes I find myself just browsing through the Target makeup aisles looking at what's new, and discover old makeup items from home. Or just browsing through Trader Joe's inspires that week's menu with items already in the pantry. 

Consumerism can be a dangerous and slippery slope. We always feel like we need the 'newest' thing in order to feel something. But shopping and browsing through - without the swipe of a card - can be one the most rewarding and fun creative techniques. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Devil (Money) - Entry 37

Exit Through the Gift Shop - Entry 14

Digital Media Landscapes - Entry 36